CODE OF CONDUCT— Bangor School Department – Policies and Regulations
The Bangor School Department believes that personal and collective achievement across the learning community is enhanced by observing and working toward five core elements of the Code of Conduct: Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Compassion and Ambition. These expectations apply to all members of the greater Bangor School Department community and extend to all school activities.
Honesty – Be a trustworthy student, citizen, and friend.
- Tell the truth.
- Do your own work on assignments and tests.
- Request and receive permission before using or borrowing others’ things.
Respect – Recognize the rights of others and practice appropriate ethical and civil behavior at all times.
- Use kind, considerate, polite and safe language and gestures.
- Honor others’ physical space. Keep hands, feet, and objects to self.
- Take care of and show appreciation for the property of the school and others.
- Be a courteous, supportive citizen.
- Contribute to an environment where all individuals feel safe and valued.
Responsibility – Know what is expected, do what is right, and be accountable for your actions.
- Inform an adult right away about possible damage to property or harm to others.
- Obey school department rules.
- Dress for success. Follow the Bangor School Department dress guidelines.
- Be a law-abiding citizen.
- Be a positive role model for others.
Compassion – Be thoughtful, kind, and considerate.
- Be mindful of others’ feelings.
- Support others by demonstrating tolerance of differences in beliefs, opinions, appearance, and skill levels.
- Seek and offer assistance when needed.
- Manage conflicts or disagreements respectfully.
Ambition – Be diligent in meeting your personal and academic goals.
- Complete assigned tasks to the best of your ability.
- Attend school regularly. Arrive on time.
- Give your best effort to reach your highest potential.
- Challenge yourself.
- Be a difference maker in the greater school community.
The following is designed to accommodate existing learning and developmental differences of students associated with any violation of the Conduct Code. Behavior related to a child’s disability will be managed consistent with applicable laws and regulations.
Level I Consequence Disciplinary action administered by the classroom teacher
Level II Consequence Disciplinary action administered by the Principal (or designee)
Level III Consequence Disciplinary action administered by the Superintendent or School Committee
Consequences (Schedule A) Adherence to the Bangor School Department Code of Conduct is expected. Failure by students to behave as required will result in specific consequences for unacceptable action(s). Attached is a listing of appropriate consequences. (Schedule A)
To view the Conduct Code Policy in its entirety (BSD Policy JFC), you may visit the School Committee’s page on the Bangor School Department website at www.bangorschools.net or ask to see the policy manual on file in the superintendent’s office.
ADOPTED: February 7, 2000
REVISED: November 30, 2011
REVIEWED: June 24, 2015